Math and analysis by Robert A. Williams and YOU
Kay Hagan has been a US Senator in Washington, DC for six years and how many people in North Carolina has she helped? The answer is five men and one woman. Her husband, her son, her daughter, her son in law and two brothers-in-law. They have, on average, received $100,000 each in “stimulus” benefits that Senator Kay Hagan voted for in Washington. While the rest of use received another $10,000 each in National Debt for us, our children and grandchildren to pay off over the next hundred years.
But folks, don’t believe any of that. Kay Hagan either denies it or won’t talk about it as she skipped out on a debate with challenger Thom Tillis last night (Oct 21, 2014) while she was out fundraising with out of state groups and out of state teacher unions.
Let’s just boil all the lies being told in the NC US Senate Race down to one issue. Funding for Education. Who has increased funding? And who has cut funding? Let’s also just use numbers from, guess who? The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI), headed by Democrat June Atkinson. How can you be more fair than that?
• Kay Hagan was elected to the US Senate in 2008, riding on Obama’s coat tails.
• Thom Tillis was elected Speaker of the NC House Representatives January 5, 2011.
1. Was state funding for education cut during Thom Tillis’ term as Speaker of the House?
2. Was Federal spending cut during Kay Hagan’s as US Senator?
1. According to NCDPI state funding for education (latest figures not available): in 2010, Before Tillis was Speaker, was $7.15 Billion
• in 2011, After Tillis was Speaker, was $7.50 Billion (a $350 million increase)
• in 2012, After Tillis was Speaker, was $7.74 Billion (another $250 million increase on top of the year before)
• in 2013, After Tillis was Speaker, was $7.81 Billion (another $70 million increase on top of the year before
The math is simple. North Carolina State spending for education was NOT cut, but increased a total of $670,000 during the time (2011-2013) Thom Tillis was Speaker of the NC House of Representatives.
2. According to NCDPI state funding for education (latest figures not available):
• Federal appropriations for NC Schools was $1.91 Billion for the 2011-2012 school year
• Federal appropriations for NC Schools was $1.675 Billion for the 2012-2013 school year
The math is simple here too. For the information available during the overlap in terms of US Senator Kay Hagan and NC Speaker Thom Tillis, Federal spending for education in North Carolina was CUT $226 million on Senator Kay Hagan’s watch.
For additional information local to Cleveland County, since the student population in Cleveland County has dropped over the past several years, the Cleveland County Commissioners, under Jason Falls and Eddie Holbrook have cut allocations to the Cleveland County Board of Education by about $1 million, while holding a 15 cent tax rate for schools. Factor that in your decision on who to vote for in the Cleveland County Commissioners race.
The conclusion of this article is numbers don’t lie but politicians do lie. The numbers show:
• State Appropriations for education in NC under Thom Tillis increased by $670 million plus.
• Federal Appropriations for education in NC under Kay Hagan was cut by $226 million.
• Cleveland County Appropriation for education under Jason falls and Eddie Holbrook was cut by about $1 million.
Kay Hagan is the liar !!! And her pants are on fire!! If you can’t believe Kay Hagan on spending for education, you can’t believe her on anything!
So, the conclusion to the Conclusion is:
Vote Thom Tillis for US Senate
Single Shot vote for Willie B McIntosh for County Commissioner.